Soups are such a tasty and wonderful way to introduce children to new flavours….and to hide vegetables inside. This one is incredibly filling and full of wholesome ingredients.
This butternut squash soup is so simple to make and fills the house with the smell of home cooking. It’s perfect for the whole family as a lunch with dippy bread or a starter.
1 Butternut squash
1 small red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 medium sized carrot
1 stick of celery
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 litre of low sodium vegetable stock
2 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and peel and dice the onion, carrot, celery and potato
- Pierce the skin of the butternut squash with a knife several times. Microwave for 3 minutes and allow to cool for a further minute (or until cool enough to handle with your hands). Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Slice the butternut squash into cubes and remove from the skin.
- Place the butternut squash into a bowl with garlic and salt and mix well. Place the garlic infused butternut squash onto a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan and add the finely diced onion, carrot, potato and celery to the pan and stir frequently for five minutes. Add the vegetable stock and roasted butternut squash to the saucepan and continue to boil until all vegetables are tender.
- Remove the ingredients from the saucepan to a blender and blend until your desired consistency.
- Serve with a sprinkle of pine nuts and a sprig of dill
Serve up in your favourite organic bamboo eco rascal bowl and let your children feed themselves with our soft-on-gums spoon.