Cauliflower tater tots are so versatile. Newly weaned children love to hold them and bring them to their mouth and more experienced eaters love the opportunity to dip them.
1 large cauliflower
1/2 onion finely diced
1 large egg
1/4 cup of fine breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut the cauliflower florets off of the cauliflower head. Place the florets in a pan of boiling water and cook until the floret falls of a fork.
- Drain the water and place the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until the consistency of rice.
- Add the finely diced onion, large egg, fine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese to the cauliflower mixture and stir well.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into the shape shown and place on a lined baking tray with a spray of cooking oil.
- Oven bake for 30-40 minutes. Flipping them over every ten minutes.
How can the kids help?
There are so many opportunities to spend time with your children in the kitchen. It’s a little daunting as there will definitely be more to clear up, but I like to think if they weren’t in the kitchen with me making a mess, they’d probably be making a mess elsewhere anyway.
Here’s how a two and three year old helped with this recipe:
- They broke off the cauliflower florets using their hands
- Beat the egg with a fork
- Pressed the pulse button on my food processor (this caused a lot of arguments)
- Mixed the wet mixture together
- They helped me space the tater tots out by showing me where each one should be placed
- The job they loved the most – being in charge of the phone alarm and coming to watch me flip them every ten minutes.
Serve up the tots on your favourite organic eco rascals plate with detachable silicone suction base.
Did you like this recipe? Why not try our gluten and dairy free fish finger recipe next time.