You may have read my previous blog post 'Tips from a dairy free Mum', in which case you'll know I’m very cautious about Max’s diet and want to ensure he has tasty food that nourishes his body. Whilst Max is not a Celiac, I’ve noticed that his immune system improves when I keep him away from gluten so I've been trialling out all his favourite dairy free recipes and making them gluten free too.
Try Max's favourite fish finger recipe below!
1 large cod fillet cut into strips
40g rice crumbs
35g oat flour
2 tbsp garlic granules
Zest of 1 lemon
75ml of almond or coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- For the ‘breadcrumbs’ - mix up rice crumbs, oat flour and garlic granules in bowl
- In a separate bowl add the lemon zest to the dairy almond milk and soak the fish strips for 15 minutes.
- Remove the soaked fish and add to the breadcrumbs. Ensure the fish is fully coated in ‘breadcrumbs’ before placing them on a baking tray
- Drizzle the fish fingers with the oil before baking for 30 minutes, turning them over at 15 minutes.
One large cod fillet will make approximately nine fish fingers. Freeze the fish fingers you don’t need before oven-baking.
Serve with a mix of potato and sweet potato chips and mushy peas on eco rascal’s organic bamboo owl plate. Ensure the detachable silicone base is on the plate before you put the food on the plate as it’s tricky to keep the plate level and attach the silicone (I ended up with a plate of Max’s food on the floor recently).