We’re not gluten free over at eco rascals but we know a lot of friends and family that have to be.
What is gluten?
Gluten is a mixture of two proteins present in cereal grains, especially wheat. Gluten provides no essential nutrients, however, it is found in a lot of foods. There are lots of people that have an intolerance to gluten and therefore need to find alternatives.
Gluten is found in wheat products and derivatives of wheat such as semolina, durum and spelt. It is also found in rye, barley, malt, brewer’s yeast and triticale.
Common foods that contain gluten are:
Pastas, noodles, breads and pastries, crackers, baked goods, pancakes, waffles, sauces.
Less known food that can contain gluten:
Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Marmite, teas, chips, syrups, meat substitutes, pre-seasoned meats.
Being gluten free ten years ago would have been no easy feat whilst eating out. Nowadays, most restaurants are well equipped to cater for a huge number of intolerances, allergies and food choices.
We love pizza and think that our gluten-free friends should too. So here’s a gluten free pizza base recipe for you!
- 250 grams gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 175ml of cooled boiled water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Take 40g of flour and leave aside for kneeding
- Mix together the yeast and sugar with the warm water and leave it to rise and foam for ten minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and salt and make a hole in the middle. Inside the hole, pour the foaming yeast water and the coconut oil.
- Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the mixture is all bound together
- Take the mixture out and kneed on a floured surface. Once kneed, place the dough into a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 1.5 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Place the doubled in sized dough mixture in the fridge for 3 hours before rolling it out to a pizza shape.
- Pick your favourite gluten free toppings and bake in the oven at 200 for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out, leave to cool slightly and cut into triangles and serve on our eco friendly plates with detachable silicone suction base.
- Cheese (or cheese alternative), cherry tomatoes, asparagus and red peppers
- Cheese, pineapple, sweetcorn and red onion
- Cheese, mushrooms, green pepper and olives
As always, we think you should share your gluten free pizza with your children and serve up on an organic bamboo eco rascals plate with detachable silicone suction base!