- 4 Cups vegetable broth (we make our own vegetable broth from leftover veggies, if you want to use stock, look for a low sodium stock cubes – Knorr do them!)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Cup Arborio rice
- 2 tbsp onion, very finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter (or equivalent)
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
- Pinch of cheddar cheese to garnish
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer (avoid bubbling/boiling as it’ll evaporate
- In a large frying pan, heat the coconut oil and fry the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes
- Add the cup of Arborio rice and stir until the rice grains look opaque
- Begin adding the stock, one ladel at a time, continually stirring the rice until the broth is absorbed
- Once all the broth has been added and stirred in, check the rice for taste to ensure it’s soft enough.
- Add the butter, peas and cheese to the mixture and stir
Serve up on your favourite eco rascals organic plate!
How to get the kids involved?
Most of the work in this recipe is in front of the hot hob. When I make this dish, I get the kids involved in the early stages. Ask them to source the ingredients from the fridge/cupboards. Let them help with measuring out the right quantities.
If using stock cubes, they can help break them down in a bowl.
During the stirring phase, I give them a portable timer and make them tell me each time it rings to check the food (all the time telling them that I had forgotten and they were doing such a great job!).