This is a firm favourite in the eco rascal household! It is dairy and gluten free.
400g chicken breast cubed OR 400g tin of chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
250ml coconut milk
500 ml chicken or vegetable stock
From the store cupboard
75g red lentils
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
2 tbsp oil of your choice
A pinch of coriander (optional)
- Prepare chicken or vegetable stock in large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the chopped carrot and red lentils and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add half of the diced mango for 2 minutes
- Add coconut milk
- Remove from heat and blend the ingredients into a thick pureed sauce
This recipe is great as you can add as many vegetables as you like as long as you allow for individual boiling times and adjust the liquid to compensate.
- In frying pan, heat your chosen oil and fry the diced onion until slightly brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a further minute.
- Add cumin and turmeric and fry for a further minute
- Add the pureed sauce to the pan and then throw in the diced chicken (or chickpeas). Allow the chicken and sauce to cook for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the other half of mango and heat through (approximately 3-4 minutes)
- Add a pinch of coriander to serve (optional)
Serve with your favourite rice and a dollop of Greek/coconut yoghurt. Cucumber/peppers are great for dipping too.
For more adventurous rascals, try a yellow curry paste which will give the dish more of a kick.