Quinoa is commonly referred to as a grain but it's actually a seed and it is a complete protein - meaning it contains all 9 essential amino acids. Quinoa has been celebrated as a gluten free, high in protein, whole grain carbohydrate.
Pronounced 'Keen-wa' and not 'Keen-No-Ah', Quinoa comes in two main types - red and creamy white. It's a versatile ingredient and is used for breakfast - as a cereal, as lunch - in a salad or in dinner (as a side).
Our recipe calls for two cups of cooked white Quinoa. You'll need one cup of quinoa and two cups of water which will make three cups of quinoa so you'll have a spare cup for another dish. Bring the water and quinoa to the boil and allow to simmer until the water is completely absorbed. I rinse my Quinoa before I cook it to remove the bitter taste.
What you'll need:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup, chopped onion
1 1/3 cups broccoli florets
2 medium carrots shredded
1/2 cup green peas, frozen
2 large organic free range eggs
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked Quinoa
What you have to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F/190C.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and add the onions, broccoli, grated carrots and sauté for 8-10 minutes.
3. Stir in your frozen peas, then add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and then fold in the grated cheese, the pre-cooked quinoa and the cooked veggies.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pack the mixture inside and knock out on to a baking tray - space evenly.
7. Bake at 375/190 for 10 minutes, then flip, and bake 5-8 minutes more.
Allow to cool slightly before serving up on your favourite eco rascals organic bamboo super suction base. Shop the ladybird plate.