These Rice Krispie Monsters are not only a delightful Halloween treat but also a wonderful way to teach your little ones about making eco-conscious choices in the kitchen. Let them get hands-on and creative while emphasizing the importance of sustainable, earth-friendly options. Happy Halloween from eco rascals!
- 160g Rice Krispies cereal (or equivalent) (6 cups)
- 32 large marshmallows (4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 200g White Cooking Chocolate
- Food colouring of your choice
- Candy eyes
Get the Kids Involved:
Before you begin, invite your little eco rascals to join in on the Halloween kitchen adventure! This recipe is a perfect opportunity for them to explore their creativity and get to know more about kitchen hygiene and food preparation.
1. Prep Your Work Area:
- Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with baking paper, leaving some overhang on the sides to easily lift out the Rice Krispie treats. Use reusable or compostable parchment paper if possible.
2. Melt the Butter and Marshmallows:
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir to coat.
- Continue stirring the mixture every 30-seconds until the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
3. Mix in the Rice Krispies:
- Invite your little ones to pour the Rice Krispies cereal into the marshmallow mixture and gently fold them together until all the cereal is coated.
- Be mindful that the pan and the mixture will be very hot so supervision and help is required.
4. Press into the Pan and make rectangles:
- Get an adult to transfer the mixture into the prepared baking pan and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, cut into rectangles.
5. Make the coloured chocolate dip!
- In a microwavable-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and stir well.
- Divide the white chocolate up into small ramekins depending on how many colours you want to make.
- Add a drop of food colouring to the chocolate mixture.
6. Make the monsters!
- Get the kids to help by dipping the top half of each rectangle into the chocolate mixture and keep them standing to set.
- Add the candy eyes to the sticky chocolate to create the monster effect.
7. Set and Serve:
- Pop them in the fridge to set for up to one hour and then take them out to serve.
8. Enjoy Your Eco-Friendly Rice Krispie Monsters:
- Share the delicious results with friends and family at your eco-conscious Halloween gathering!